When Jennifer Degroot bought a case of 40 juice boxes on May 31, she had no idea she was buying anything other than a convenient drink for her two children, Johnny, 8, and Jessica, 5.
A few days later, her daughter brought her one of the juice boxes, saying it "smelled stinky."
"She handed it to me and I noticed the smell right away, and I took it into the kitchen and looked at it," Degroot says. "And then I saw the maggots crawling on the bottom and it was bloated and it looked like it was going to explode."
Since the discovery of that first leaking juice box in June, Jennifer and her father, Bill Mason, have reported finding leaking juice boxes packaged under the Dole brand on separate occasions in July, August and October. The family, which lives in Waterford, Ont., believes the packaging is faulty, and has been urging the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) to issue a warning.
keyboard shortcuts: V vote up article J next comment K previous comment